Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Top 5 Thoughts of Teacher vs I.T.S.

#1 Teacher: I'm well seasoned & you don't want to work with me...

I.T.S.: Age and years of experience truly don't matter to me! I want to work with a motivated educator who is open to suggestions and growth. The only educator that is to old to learn is one with a closed mind...age doesn't impact growth but mentality does hinder/support growth.

#2
Teacher: I can't use technology because (enter tons of excuses)...

I.T.S.: I hear tons of excuses as to why people won't (not can't) use technology. I'll be honest and tell you that I nod and say I understand but I really want to say "can't never could but we can try together". Would we let a child who can't read make an excuse to never pick up a book? Bear with me, I'm not being ugly but I believe in being solutions oriented. Instead of being negative, let's work together to find a tool to enhance learning for your students. If you feel overwhelmed with what I suggest, stop me and say this is to much. I won't be offended. In fact, I'll appreciate the feedback because it let's me know that you are embracing a growth mindset that includes technology.

#3 Teacher: I'm terrible with technology, you'll think I'm stupid...

I.T.S.: Ignorance comes from an unasked question not from a lack of comfort. No one is innately terrible at using technology. It's easy to let fear or lack of exposure hold us back. It's hard for some educators to admit they struggle with technology because they fear they will look inept. You must practice to become comfortable with technology. I constantly tell teachers that they are the content experts because I freely admit that I lack the knowledge to know K-12 content in every classroom. Together, we make a great team! I honestly say that I'm good at what I do yet I'm constantly behind...after all, with technology, I wake up behind every morning. Since I freely admit it, does this make me inept? I don't think so, I think it makes me transparent. We are all good at some areas and we can all improve and grow together in other areas.

#4 Teacher: You grew up with technology which makes it easy for you to...

I.T.S.:  Unless you count the walk-man, I didn't grow up with technology. I do have an interest in technology and that means it stimulates me to learn and grow. As a parent, I see the world changing for my son. As a educator, I want students, like him, ready for their future. I want them to be able to register for college, participate in an online learning environment, and work in at a future company that may require technology access. This mindset motivates me to do my personal best to work with educators to introduce technology. I firmly believe we should meet students in the world they are growing up in and this means meeting their individual needs in a digital world. Students are entering schools accustomed to technology. They don't see technology as optional but it is becoming an expectation and we should meet them with a mindset open to new teaching method that infuse technology.

#5 Teacher: You don't want to work with teachers who struggle with technology...

I.T.S.:
I LOVE working with all levels of teachers, especially those that are changing pedagogy to infuse technology. I offer each teacher a suggested technique that I think will meet their needs. Once you master it, you'll see me again because my goal is to scaffold professional development to enable all of us to grow and that means I'll add to your technology knowledge base. I'll take any motivated educator...age and experience aren't relevant but motivation is the key!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment